Crossbow hunting has been around for centuries, and it’s a popular choice for hunters who want a challenge. Crossbows are known for their accuracy and power, and they are especially useful for deer hunting.
However, with so many options on the market, it can be challenging to find the right one for your needs, especially if you’re on a budget.
If you’re looking for the best crossbow for deer hunting under $500, there are a few things you need to consider.
The first thing you need to think about is the draw weight. A higher draw weight means more power and accuracy, but it also means a heavier crossbow.
You should also consider the speed of the crossbow, as well as the type of bolts it uses.
After researching and testing several crossbows, I have identified the top-budget crossbows for deer hunting on the market.
These crossbows offer a balance of power, accuracy, and affordability. Making them perfect for both experienced and novice hunters.
So, if you’re ready to take your deer hunting game to the next level, keep reading!
Table of Contents
Best Crossbow for Deer Hunting under $500
When it comes to deer hunting, choosing the right crossbow can make all the difference. As an experienced hunter, I know that a quality crossbow can greatly improve accuracy. As well as increase the chances of a successful hunt.
However, with so many options on the market, it can be difficult to know where to start. That’s why I’ve put together this list of the best crossbows for deer hunting under $500.
Each of these crossbows has been carefully selected for its power, accuracy, and overall value. Ensuring that you get the most bang for your buck.
So whether you’re a seasoned hunter or a beginner just starting out, you’re sure to find a crossbow on this list that meets your needs and budget.
1. BARNETT Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow
The BARNETT Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow is my top pick. It’s a great choice for hunters who want a high-performance crossbow that won’t break the bank.
With its ultra-compact size and lightweight design, this compact crossbow also is easy to handle and maneuver in tight spaces. Making it perfect for hunting in dense woods or other challenging environments.
Plus, with its complete hunting accessory package, you’ll have everything you need to get started right away.
One of the best things about this crossbow is its range of safety features, including a Soft Lok Floating Bristle Arrow Retainer and an Anti-Dry Fire (ADF) Trigger System.
These features help ensure that you stay safe while hunting. Even if you accidentally dry-fire the crossbow or make another mistake.
However, there are a few downsides to this crossbow. For one thing, it can be quite loud when fired, which may spook game animals and make it harder to get a good shot.
Additionally, the included scope is not the highest quality. So you may want to upgrade it if you’re serious about accuracy.
Finally, the crossbow can be a bit difficult to assemble. Especially if you’re not familiar with crossbows.
- The crossbow is ultra-compact and lightweight. Making it easy to handle and maneuver in tight spaces.
- The package includes a complete hunting accessory package. So you’ll have everything you need to get started right away.
- The crossbow is equipped with a range of safety features, including a Soft Lok Floating Bristle Arrow Retainer and an Anti-Dry Fire mechanism.
- The crossbow is relatively loud when fired, which may spook game animals.
- The included scope is not the highest quality, so you may want to upgrade it if you’re serious about accuracy.
- The crossbow can be a bit difficult to assemble. Especially if you’re not familiar with crossbows.
2. Killer Instinct Boss 405 Crossbow Pro Package
The Killer Instinct Boss 405 Crossbow is a compact and lightweight crossbow that is easy to handle and carry.
The aluminum barrel and 3.5-pound KillerTech trigger provide consistent accuracy shot-after-shot.
The adjustable foregrip and easy-to-handle narrow frame produce a balanced and compact shooting machine.
The package includes:
- 4×32 IR-W Scope
- Rope Cocking Device
- String Suppressors
- 3-Bolt Quiver
- (3) HYPR Lite Bolts
- Field Tips
- Stick of Rail Lube
It also comes with a limited lifetime warranty. The crossbow is powerful and fast. Firing at a rate of up to 405 feet-per-second and generating up to 134 foot-pounds on a hit.
The built-in Dead Silent limb and string suppressors reduce noise and prevent prey from noticing you as you track them.
The crossbow is also designed with a reduced overall length that makes it easy to handle and lightweight to carry.
Overall, the Killer Instinct Boss 405 Crossbow Pro Package is a great choice for anyone looking for a budget high quality crossbow.
- A deadly combination of high-octane fire power and agility. Hits targets hard at 405 feet per second.
- 6-position adjustable butt-stock comfortably fits a variety of users. While the aluminum barrel stock is designed to withstand wear-and-tear.
- Built-in Dead Silent limb and string suppressors reduce noise and prevent prey from noticing you as you track them.
- The scope mount that comes with the crossbow is not the best quality and could be improved.
- The string serving may fray quickly, but it’s not a major issue and can be easily replaced.
- Assembly can take some time, but the instructions are clear and easy to follow.
3. Barnett Wildcat Camo Recurve Crossbow Hunting Package
If you’re looking for an affordable crossbow that’s easy to use and comes with everything you need to get started, the Barnett Wildcat Camo Recurve Crossbow Hunting Package is a great option.
The Barnett Wildcat is a versatile and reliable entry level crossbow. It’s easy to maneuver and comes with everything you need to start practicing right away.
The camo wrap and lightweight design make it perfect for hunting in the field. The Soft Lok Floating Bristle Arrow Retainer and Anti-Dry Fire (ADF) Trigger System ensure that it’s safe and easy to use.
While there are some minor issues with the front grip handle and foot stirrup, these are easy to overlook. Given the overall quality and affordability of the bow.
- Shoots 260 feet per second, making it powerful enough for hunting deer and other game.
- Comes with a complete hunting accessory package, including a 4x32mm multi-reticle scope and lightweight side-mount quiver.
- Soft Lok Floating Bristle Arrow Retainer and Anti-Dry Fire (ADF) Trigger System ensure the bow is safe and easy to use
- The front grip handle may not tighten up properly and may move around a little bit.
- The foot stirrup part may come loose after every 10-20 shots.
- The bolt may not lie flat down when cocked and a bolt is inserted.
4. BARNETT Blackcat Recurve Crossbow Hunting Package
The BARNETT Blackcat Recurve Crossbow is a solid choice for beginners looking for a reliable, easy-to-use crossbow for hunting.
The recurve design is simple and straightforward, with safety features that make it a good option for new hunters.
However, experienced hunters may want to invest in a more advanced model with a faster shot and lighter weight.
The package includes everything you need to get started. With a red dot sight, lightweight quiver, two aluminum arrows, and lubrication wax.
But, the lack of a cocking rope can be an added expense for those who don’t already own one.
Overall, the BARNETT Blackcat is a solid option for beginner crossbow hunters. Its stealthy black design and safety features make it a good choice for new hunters.
While the ready-to-hunt package ensures that you have everything you need to get started.
- The stealthy black design and Black Strike Camo make it a great option for hunting in the woods.
- The recurve crossbow design is beginner-friendly and easy to use. With finger safety reminders and an anti-dry fire trigger to ensure safety.
- The package comes with a red dot sight, a lightweight quiver, two aluminum arrows, and lubrication wax. Making it a ready-to-hunt package that ships mostly assembled.
- The crossbow is relatively slow, with a speed of 260 feet per second. So it may not be the best option for experienced hunters who need a faster shot.
- The bow is relatively heavy, weighing in at 4.8 pounds, which can be tiring for extended hunting trips.
- The package does not include a cocking rope. Which can be an added expense for those who don’t already own one.
5. BARNETT Whitetail Hunter STR Crossbow
I recently had the chance to try out the BARNETT Whitetail Hunter STR Crossbow on a deer hunting trip. I was impressed with its performance.
The crossbow is lightweight and easy to handle, making it a good choice for hunters of all sizes.
The Step-Through Riser (STR) technology also makes it more efficient and accurate crossbow than some of the other crossbows I’ve used.
The safety features on this crossbow are also a plus, including:
- Soft Lok Floating Bristle Arrow Retainer
- Anti-Dry Fire (ADF) Trigger System
- Finger Safety reminders
- TriggerTech Frictionless Release Technology
I felt confident using this crossbow knowing that these features were in place.
One downside is that the scope requires some adjustment to get it zeroed in. The assembly instructions could also be clearer, but with a little patience, it’s not too difficult to put together.
Finally, it may be a bit louder than some other crossbows. So keep that in mind if you’re hunting in an area where noise is a concern.
Overall, I would recommend the BARNETT Whitetail Hunter STR for anyone looking for a reliable and affordable crossbow for hunting deer.
With its lightweight design, efficient technology, and safety features, it’s a great choice for hunters of all skill levels.
- Lightweight and easy to handle.
- Efficient design for improved accuracy.
- Safety features for added security.
- The scope may require some adjustment.
- Assembly instructions could be clearer.
- May be louder than some other crossbows.
6. Killer Instinct Lethal 405 Crossbow Pro Package
The Killer Instinct Lethal 405 crossbow is easy to assemble and comes with everything you need for hunting success. The package includes a rope cocker, string suppressors, and bolts with field tips.
The crossbow has a comfortable fit and is easy to aim and shoulder, thanks to the over-molded grip and adjustable X-Lok forearm piece.
The included 4×32 scope extends your shooting range with multiple aiming points on the reticle. But may not be the best option for low-light hunting conditions.
The crossbow is also on the heavier side, which may be a concern for some hunters.
Overall, the Killer Instinct Lethal 405is a great option for hunters looking for a powerful and reliable budget crossbow.
- The Lethal 405 packs a punch with a speed of 405 feet per second and 134 foot-pounds of kinetic energy. Making it a great option for taking down big game.
- The custom rubber shock absorbers reduce noise and vibration, making it a quiet and stealthy option for hunting.
- The adjustable full-length Picatinny rail offers multiple holding options. Making it comfortable and easy to maneuver.
- The crossbow is on the heavier side, weighing in at 7.2 pounds, which may be a concern for some hunters.
- The included non-illuminated scope may not be the best option for low-light hunting conditions.
- The trigger pull may take some getting used to, as it requires 3.5 pounds of force.
7. PSE ARCHERY Coalition Crossbow Package
As someone who has used the PSE ARCHERY Coalition Crossbow for deer hunting, I can confidently say that it’s a great choice for anyone on a budget.
The adjustable stock and pass-through foregrip make it comfortable to hold and shoot. Plus, the overall design is compact and ergonomic.
The crossbow is also relatively lightweight at 7.5 pounds, making it easy to carry around in the field.
Overall, the PSE ARCHERY is a decent crossbow for those seeking affordability, power, and accuracy.
- With a speed of 380 fps and kinetic energy of 127 FT. lbs., this crossbow packs a punch and is more than capable of taking down a deer.
- The illuminated scope and string stops help with accuracy and dampen sound and vibration. Making it easier to take that perfect shot.
- The anti-dry fire and auto safety trigger ensure complete safety and control. Giving you peace of mind while hunting.
- The instructions for assembly could be clearer, but with a little patience, it’s not too difficult to figure out.
- Some users have reported that the camo finish can wear off over time, but this doesn’t affect the performance of the crossbow.
- The included scope may need to be adjusted before use, but once it’s dialed in, it’s accurate and reliable.
Deer Hunting Crossbow Buying Guide
When looking for the best crossbow under $500 for deer hunting, there are several important factors to consider. Here are some key features to look for:
Draw Weight and Speed
The draw weight and speed of a crossbow are crucial factors to consider.
Higher draw weight and speed will provide more power and accuracy, making it easier to take down a deer.
Look for a crossbow with a draw weight of at least 150 pounds and a speed of at least 250 feet per second.
Accuracy and Precision
Accuracy and precision are also important when choosing a crossbow.
Look for a crossbow with a high-quality scope that can help you aim accurately.
Consider a crossbow with a narrow limb width. Which can increase accuracy and reduce weight.
Comfort and Safety
Comfort and safety should also be taken into account. Look for a crossbow with an ergonomic design that fits comfortably in your hands.
Check for safety features such as an automatic safety mechanism and a finger guard to protect your fingers from the string.
Finally, consider the accessories that come with the crossbow. Look for a package that includes a scope, arrows, and a quiver.
Some crossbows also come with additional accessories such as a sling or a rope cocking device.
By considering these factors, you can choose the best crossbow under $500 for deer hunting that suits your needs and preferences.
Always remember to practice safety measures and follow local hunting regulations.
FAQs Related to Deer Hunting Crossbows
What’s a good cheap crossbow for deer hunting?
If you’re on a tight budget and looking for a crossbow to hunt deer, any of the options mentioned above are excellent choices.
However, in my opinion, the BARNETT Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow is the best budget crossbow for deer hunting.
This crossbow is not only cost-effective but also ultra-compact and lightweight. Making it easy to handle and maneuver in tight spaces. Which is essential when hunting in dense woods or other challenging environments.
Additionally, the BARNETT Whitetail Hunter II comes with a complete hunting accessory package. Ensuring that you have everything you need to get started right away.
Another advantage is its range of safety features, including a Soft Lok Floating Bristle Arrow Retainer and an Anti-Dry Fire System.
Which are designed to keep you safe while hunting. These features help prevent accidental dry-fires or other mishaps that can be dangerous while out in the field.
What is the best crossbow for a beginner deer hunter?
Tn my opinion the BARNETT Blackcat is the best beginner crossbow for deer hunters. This crossbow has a manageable weight and compact size, making it easy to handle and maneuver, even for those who are new to crossbow hunting.
The package includes a complete hunting accessory package, including a red dot scope, quiver, arrows, and lube wax. Ensuring that you have everything you need to get started right away.
Additionally, the BARNETT Blackcat is equipped with a range of safety features, including an Anti-Dry Fire mechanism. Ensuring that you stay safe while hunting.
One of the standout features of this crossbow is its black camouflage pattern, that enables you to hunt with stealth. Making it perfect for concealment.
The BARNETT Blackcat also ships mostly assembled, so it’s a breeze to set up.
What is the best crossbow speed for deer?
A crossbow with a speed of at least 250 FPS has sufficient power and accuracy for successful deer hunting.
However, crossbows with higher arrowa speeds offer additional benefits, such as increased kinetic energy and flatter trajectory.
How far can a crossbow shoot?
The range of a crossbow depends on several factors, such as the type of crossbow, the draw weight, and the arrow used.
In general, most crossbows have an effective range of around 30 to 60 yards (27 to 55 meters).
With some high-end models capable of hitting targets up to 100 yards (91 meters) away.
However, from an ethical hunter’s standpoint, a crossbow should not be fired more than 50 yards away.
This is because as the distance increases, the likelihood of hitting the target accurately decreases. Which can result in a less-than-clean kill.
How accurate is a crossbow at 100 yards?
Most crossbows are not designed for long-range shooting. Their effective range usually maxes out between 40 to 60 yards. Shooting beyond this range can result in a significant decrease in accuracy.
Hitting a target at 100 yards can be challenging even for experienced shooters.
Furthermore, crossbow bolts lose their kinetic energy over long distances. Which can affect arrow speed and accuracy.
Therefore, while it may be possible to hit a target at 100 yards with a crossbow, it is not recommended. Most hunters limit their shots to within their crossbow’s effective range for best results.
How many yards is a crossbow accurate?
In general, most crossbows have an effective range of 40-50 yards, but some models may be accurate up to 60-70 yards or more.
The effective range of a crossbow varies depending on the individual shooter’s ability to aim and shoot accurately.
Factors such as wind speed and direction, humidity, and temperature can also affect the accuracy of a crossbow.
There are plenty of excellent options available for budget hunters looking for the best crossbow for deer hunting under $500. I have reviewed and compared some of the top picks in this blog post.
Each of these crossbows has its own unique set of features and advantages. While they may have some downsides, they all offer great value for their price range.
Ultimately, the best crossbow for deer hunting under $500 will depend on your individual preferences and needs.
I hope this guide has helped you narrow down your options and make an informed decision.